The DC Department of Insurance, Securities, and Banking is conducting focus groups in August for the feasibility study for a potential DC public bank and is seeking participants for them. There are 15 different topics being discussed, and you're invited to join the discussions by emailing your interests to DISB by July 31. Provide your name and contact information and the name of the focus group(s) on which you would like to serve. The interest areas of the focus groups are below.
Click on the focus group name to send an email to sign up:
- Public Banking Community
- District Government Fiscal Policy
- Cash Management and Investment Functions
- Banking and Investment Community, and Support of Community Banks and Credit Unions
- Business and Economic Development
- Affordable Housing
- Small Business
- Public Bank Structure, Mission and Governance
- Student Loan Financing and Refinancing
- Consumer Issues
- Capitalization and Costs (Start-up and Operational)
- Legal Issues (Requirements and Constraints)
- Public Infrastructure Financing
- Environmental/Sustainability Financing
- Nonprofit Community
These focus groups are being conducted as part of the official DC government feasibility study for the public bank that is now underway. The study is being completed by an independent contractor to DISB.
The DC Public Banking Center has laid out clear objectives for the public bank. These are to provide financing for
- affordable housing
- environmentally sustainable projects
- local businesses
- all creating local jobs
From feedback we’ve received, we think it is important to add financing for nonprofit cultural infrastructure.
Please make your voice heard in these focus groups if you'd like to see DC establish a public bank. Thanks for your support on this critical issue.