How would the D.C. Public Bank operate?
- DC tax and other revenues would be deposited in the D.C. Public Bank.
- The bank would process payments for city government expenses.
- The bank would issue loans to fulfill the purposes of the bank as set out in its charter.
- The bank would also reduce the costs to the City of financing short-term borrowing on active deposit accounts and infrastructure investments by avoiding high interest rates from other lenders.
- The bank would earn interest on its investments and on loans it makes in partnership with local community banks and credit unions.
- In order to ensure the long-term financial health of the bank, the bank could also make significant investments in secure bonds.
- Lending priorities would be set by a public participation process.
Was this helpful?